In the mid-nineteenth century, a group of German and Tyrolean settlers emigrated to Peru sponsored by the Peruvian government to populate the Amazon region, their mission was to contribute to the national economy. This group of immigrants were located in the district of Pozuzo, in Oxapampa, Pasco. To this day they keep their European customs and traditions, wearing traditional costumes and developing in the cattle and beer industry.
The history of Pozuzo is linked to the mission of the Combonians in Peru.This group of missionaries arrived in 1938 to serve the German and indigenous settlers in the area, who lived under their own survival due to the lack of road connections with the capital. Later on, in the seventies there was a growth thanks to livestock development, which began with the donation of 180 animals offered by Juan Renner, a Jewish-German merchant.
Currently, Pozuzo maintains socio-cultural relations with Austria, through the Regional Government of Tyrol, after the municipalities of Silz and Haiming were declared «Twin Towns» of Pozuzo. Various associations support the oxapampeño district by teaching German, building health centers and even built a road that connects with the Elbow of Pozuzo. They also receive support from the Alternative Development Program in the Areas of Pozuzo – Palcazú (PRODAPP), which is responsible for promoting priority development activities in: agricultural, forestry and environmental, infrastructure, tourism and institutional development.
These are some tourist attractions of the place:
Yanachaga Chemillén National Park
The most important tourist attraction of Pozuzo is the Yanachaga Chemillén National Park, created in 1986. It has an area of 122 hectares and shares territory with four other districts. The park has a population that is divided in three groups: Yanesha Indians, Austro-German settlers and Andean immigrants who come from the central highlands.
Río Azul salt water rettery
The Río Azul rettery is located 10 km from the town center, in Bajo Chancarizo. They are characterized by having turquoise waters composed of sulfur and salt that have healing properties.